Welcome to the Sickle Cell Disease Education Program for Healthcare Providers
Description of Program
The Sickle Cell Disease Education Program for Healthcare Providers is made up of 13 modules and each module is made up of multiple lessons that are micro lessons (take less than 10 minutes to complete).
This series of educational modules have been developed to provide equitable access to high-quality education for healthcare providers to support the needs of people with Sickle Cell Disease.
Our modules have been developed in collaboration with Ontario Health and will be accredited by the Royal College of Family Physicians.
The goal of the Program
The collective goal of these lessons is to improve the knowledge, skills, and actions of healthcare providers who care for people with SCD to reduce health inequities and improve access to safe, equitable care. You will receive a certificate of completion at the end of each module!
Target Audience: These educational lessons are geared towards those who are new to taking care of people with SCD or those who want to have a better understanding of SCD, including the lived experiences of our patients. These lessons are also for those who want to refresh their knowledge in providing care to people with SCD and their families. The target audience is not limited to physicians, nurses, social workers, psychologists, etc.
List of Modules (Planned Release Date)
- Module 1 – Fundamentals of Sickle Cell Disease (January)
- Module 2 – Introduction to the Ontario Health Quality Standards for Sickle Cell Disease (January)
- Module 3 – Acute Pain (March)
- Module 4 – Complications (April)
- Module 5 – Treatment Options (May)
- Module 6 – Mental Health Impact (June)
- Module 7 – Anti Racist Healthcare (July)
- Module 8 – Sickle Cell and Pregnancy (August)
- Module 9 – Vaccinations (September)
- Module 10 – Advocacy and Awareness (September)
- Module 11 – Research and Innovation in Sickle Cell Care (September)
- Module 12 – Newborn Screening and Genetic Counselling (October)
- Module 13 – Primary Care – Prevention, Treatment, and Management of Sickle Cell Disease (November)
Meet the Expert!
Each module will be accompanied by a ‘Meet the Expert’ session that will be held during the week from 1200 – 1300. Each session will be scheduled one month after the module has been released. More info to come!
Purpose: To provide hcp the opportunity to ask questions about the module released at the beginning of the previous month. Also, an opportunity to listen to other colleagues to gain learning in other ways.
SCAGO Healthcare Provider Project Coordinator
Karen Fleming, RN, Clinical Nurse Specialist