The Sickle Cell Awareness Group of Ontario (SCAGO); Sickle Cell Association of Ontario (SCAO) and the Thalassemia Foundation of Canada (TFO) called for the recognition of June 19 as the World Sickle Cell Day in Ontario. The private member’s Bill 175 introduced in the Legislature on March 19th, 2014 seeks the proclamation of June 19 of every year as the day to celebrate as well as promote awareness of the Sickle Cell Disease in the Province of Ontario.
The Sickle Cell Awareness Group of Ontario asks you to reach 6 people in your community with the message ” Get tested for sickle cell trait”. For those on Twitter, spread the word with hashtag #EachReachSix. Thank you.
10 Tweetable Facts about SCD: Tweet a Fact/Day
- #SickleCellDisease is 1 of the most common inherited diseases with > 5000 people with #SCD in #Canada + that number is growing
- Walter C Noel, a Grenadian dentist, 1st person described with #SickleCellDisease > 100yrs ago. A #BloodTest can diagnose carriers of #SCD
- Persons with #SickleCell #trait carry abnormal hemoglobin #genes but have no symptoms. Get tested-check ur risk of passing #SCD to ur child
- #SickleCellDisease affects O2 carrying red cells. Red bl cells become rigid, #sickle shaped + break easily causing #anemia + #jaundice
- Sickled cells block blood vessels and cause severe #pain + #suffering in persons with #SickleCellDisease. Pain may last for days or wks
- #SickleCells block blood vessels affecting blood flow + O2 delivery. This can cause permanent damage to organs inc brain + kidney #SCD
- In #SickleCellDisease blood can become trapped in the spleen/liver causing shock and death. An urgent #BloodTransfusion will #SaveALife.
- Children with #SickleCellDisease have a high risk of stroke. Early exchange #BloodTransfusions can #SaveALife + reduce disability in kids
- Stroke in high-risk children with #SickleCellDisease can be prevented with regular #BloodTransfusions – happy bright #HealthyKids!
- #Pregnancy can increase problems in women with #SickleCellDisease. Transfusions can save both the mother’s + baby’s life #SaveALife
For educational videos on various topics relating to Sickle Cell Disease, visit: